Ready to Rock'n'Pre-Enroll
I should be sleeping early to wake up at 5AM tomorrow, because enrollment for classes starts at 6:30. But I felt like going through the annals of time for a bit and reflecting on myself. More so than that post yesterday where I just pasted an old post and wrote a lame haiku.
I want to focus on the mock graduation speech I posted here. It was about how most of the class could only truly claim to be on speaking terms with at most one half of the '05 gang. Also, I think I said we were all fuck-jobs, or something. Basically.
Part of me wishes I had the kutzpah [sic] to have actually written a speech with a similar gist. Hell, we probably needed it. Henry's speech didn't do us any good, but that said, my commencement wasn't exactly enlightening or cathartic, either. I think the problem was that I didn't want to do something sappy and predictable... but on the other hand, I didn't want to try something different and find out it was stupid, or poorly conceived either. I didn't want to walk the middle ground so I didn't even approach the tightrope.
Also, I think every parent kind of wants things to be that dull... I mean, the videos and shit get sent to relatives who just want to see their own graduate and get the diploma and a moderate pat on the back. The Thriller was satisfactory in establishing our class' Michelle and Alison D. side; If I had come up with a speech about how I really felt about Uni, I'm not sure many families would want to be seen even on a list with my name on it. There were so many punches I would have thrown, not only at some people in our class, but also at some teachers. I think a lot of them could be rhymed with "Brussel."
I take back my previous explanation in part: I think now that there were three ways I could have done it. I could have pleased me, I could have pleased the ol' folks who just wanted some dribble about a job well done, or I could have pleased nobody with a speech about how great I was in a spelling bee. Henry narrowed my options. As he would say, "Nos Esmeramos."
I was considering writing up a speech I might've given, but it would only serve to amuse me and possibly a few of you guys. What I really want is to impact the class with some of our (I say "our" just to sound fair, but the emphasis does not fall on us) naivete. Towards what, I cannot say; class divisions might be a fruitful topic.
Perhaps I could ride into our next reunion wearing nothing but a painted vertical black line and to opposite signs reading "Dicks" and "Pussies."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home