Soap
Snakes on a Plane
MOOD: Eek!
CURRENT RATINGS:
2/10
Movie:
Snakes on a Plane (2006) How does one review a movie that is intentionally bad? My answer: Call it like it is. After having watched Snakes on a Plane, I think that it is a fairly bad movie, but not the worst movie I've ever seen or anything like that. Thus the rating I give it, which is based purely on my movie-going experience. However, unlike a lot of my friends, after having seen the movie, I've realized that I find the very idea of Snakes on a Plane despicable, enough to warrant the movie a 0 had I not laughed at it on occasion.Snakes on a Plane is indeed humorous at times, but I propose that its very existence is a bad thing. This movie is probably the first example of a cult classic that became a cult classic before it was ever released, all thanks to its unique title and its Internet fanbase. And I can't help but ask: Shouldn't a cult classic have to earn its status over time, due to the merits (or lack of merits) of the film? Instead, Snakes on a Plane was made to immediately cater to its fanbase, thus making it perhaps the most shameless film I have ever seen. It's a movie that provides exactly what its audience wanted, which is great for the audience, but also serves to dumb down that same audience. In this respect, it is probably even more offensive to me than a generic romantic or teen comedy that serves only to draw in an unthinking niche audience. I hate to be the elitist critic, but Snakes on a Plane is perhaps the exact antithesis of art, due to its shameless whoring of its badness. I can only hope that it bombs at the box office, so this kind of movie doesn't become a trend.

2 Comments:
rather, it seems to me that the hype squad at Plane Snake pictures invented the very crowd it later aimed to serve with the movie, thus ironically fulfilling some hypercretinous, filthily biblical lab experiment. Its hypothetical ratshit has exploded all over jerry's brain.
8:49 PM
Poo poo! I find serious errors with your findings, Jeremiah! Just about every movie is made to pander to its audience. For every Godfather or Apocalypse now, made truly for the sake of art, there's about six billion goddamn movies made for an audience. Chick flicks, teen movies, horror films, everything. Snakes on a Plane is just more up front about it. Also, since it was more the choice of the marketing tenctacles than the director and Samuel L., who just wanted to make a shit script funny, I find it hard to fault the film too much. No marketing man is a man.
Also, fuck all of that shit I just said anyway. I was there in the theater at the sneak premier the night before. People screamed, they clapped, they yelled, they cringed. When Samuel busted out the famous line I couldn't here half of it because we were all screaming and clapping and yelling. That's what the movie was about, and it was fun.
1:22 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home