Saturday, December 25, 2004

Jack frost nipping at your nose

Songs like "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" are so provocative to me. I hear them being sung by 1950's superstars like Nat King Cole and I feel like I'm hearing the sounds of a completely different society. Not my kind of society, but I don't know, I get this weird feeling to hear this stuff.
Anywho, this is my favorite post of the year, because I get to talk about all the stuff I got. It's kind of like the 12 Days of Christmas, but a hell of a lot longer:
A very rough estimate brings me at $1739.00 spent on me. This is estimating around an $800 value for my "new" 1997 Saturn, which yields low insurance rates, because it would cost more to fix than the value of the car.
So the list:
1997 Saturn
Philips Stereo w/ USB Port for MP3's
Phase 10 (card game)
Scrabble pen
2005 Running Log/Calendar
2004-05 Williams University Calendar
2004-05 Sporting News NBA Guide
10 Pounds of candy
2004-05 Pro Basketball Forecast, by John Hollinger
Been There, Should've Done That, A Guide to Making the Most out of College ( I got 2 of these!)
South Park Season IV on DVD
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Taboo
Gobblet
Scattergories
120 dollars in cash, 100 in the form of old Ben Franklin; a 15 dollar check
80 dollars at 4th Street Records in Charleston
A gift card to Best Buy with an unspecified dollar value
CD's: Guns n' Roses-"Use Your Illusion I," Yes-"Fragile," The Jimi Hendrix Experience-"Are You Experienced?," The Flaming Lips-"Transmissions From the Satellite Heart," Stevie Wonder-"Fulfillingness' First Finale," The Beatles-"Let It Be."
A "Mr. Hankey; He's so nutty...." T-shirt
Hope in the Unseen by Ron Suskind
5 pairs of socks
1 Eastern Illinois sweatshirt
A car emergency kit
A State Farm road atlas certified by my very own insurance agent, Dick Stark!
Jumper cables
A Citgo gas card with 100 dollars on it
The New Rolling Stone Album Guide
A 50 dollar savings bond
And the coup de grace, Law Rides the Range, a Walt Coburn Western. His six-guns sang a deadly song of doom!

I'm overwhelmed with the joy of giving.

My one overriding question is the motives of my grandparents that live in town. Not related to me in blood, they have consistently outspent all my other grandparents combined, and their output has only increased as I've aged. Last Christmas, I was shocked when no presents arrived from them, but was even more shocked to see Ben Franklin inside a card. This year, they made sure I got a second date with Ben, and to make sure I wouldn't be too hasty in breaking off the relationship again, they added on a load of extra gifts, including 3 board games. The weird thing, though, is that they got one 15 dollar game for my little brother. So 200 dollars spent on me, 15 on Jack. I feel vulnerable.


3 Comments:

Blogger MYW said...

SWEET JESUS JERRY

YOU GOT THE MOTHALOAD

12:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

come socialize with me and take me for a ride in your new car!

--betsy

12:27 PM

 
Blogger Lee the Agent said...

Is that what they're calling it now?

3:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home