Wednesday, December 29, 2004

I purified myself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka and it was fucking cold

Come on, man, all the other albums have some merit. Use Your Illusion I, the merit comes down to about "November Rain" and maybe 2 or 3 other Slash soloes, and sure the album is 76 minutes long, but damn, "November Rain"! Let It Be is the worst Beatles album I have, though. It's got a few good songs, but a lot more shit than I usually expect from them. The other stuff sounded decent so far.
The Rolling Stone Album Guide---Terrible! But hey, it's Rolling Stone. Terrible is awfully high-bar for them. Of Prince, The Guide says "As a songwriter... he ranks with Lennon & McCartney, Bob Dylan, and Smokey Robinson; as a guitarist, with Hendrix and Steve Cropper. He was the most influential record producer and arranger of the '80s and the most influential creative speller in all of pop. No artist has swung as fluently from style to style and only James Brown has put on more incendiary live shows. And if Prince had done nothing but stand stock still onstage and sung other people's material, he'd have locked up his place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."
Man, I consider myself a big Prince fan, but even I think that kind of hyperbole is inexcusable. He's good, but he doesn't hold a candle to Lennon & McCartney, or to Hendrix. He wouldn't have gotten anywhere singing cover tunes, because outside of his marvelous falsetto, he's nothing spectacular.
I'm back from Minnesota, by the way. It was uneventful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home